Passignano sul Trasimeno is a distinctive touristic centre in the Umbria region, also known as THE GREEN HEART OF ITALY.
Its picturesque aspect is constituted by an ancient nucleus still surrounded by walls and towers on the slope of a hill, and a modern part developed along the bank of the lake.
Places to visit:
- The Castle, which still dominates the medieval part of the town with its triangular tower
- The Churches:
- Madonna dell' Olivet - A fine building of the XVI century with a spectacular holy water stoup
- San Vito - A very ancient church (XIII century) dominated by one of the oldest bell-towers in Umbria
- Madonna dei miracoli - One of the most important shrines in Umbria.
- And San Rocco of the Renaissance and San Bernardino
- Another typical attraction is the Promenade along the lake where one can also find the pier with ferryboats that take tourists on a comfortable and enjoyable tour of the Maggiore and Polvese islands located right in the heart of the Passignano Lake
- During the summer season and precisely on the 3 rd Sunday of July, a spectacular boat race event called "Il Palio delle Barche" takes place.It is an unmissable race through the water and the ancient streets of the village.